Scouts in Government Day
Scouts in Government Day is a Town of Trumbull tradition that began in the early 1970s under First Selectman Clarence Heimann. The event is organized by the Girl Scouts, Boy Scouts of America (Scouts BSA program), and the Town of Trumbull. Scouts are paired with Town of Trumbull elected officials, employees, and volunteers and shadow their assigned mentor to learn about their job responsibilities.
Scouts in Government Day is a great opportunity for Scouts to learn about their government, be good citizens, and perhaps learn about a career that they might choose to pursue in the future. Scouts may also be able to complete requirements towards their rank advancements.
2023 Scouts in Government Day
This year's Scouts in Government Day event will be held on Tuesday, March 28, 2023.
Scouts in Government Day applications must be received by Friday, March 10, 2023.
- Scouts must at least be a 4th grade student or ten years old to participate.
- Scouts should select their first, second, and third job choice in order of preference.
- Scouts must submit a short essay on why they would like to serve in each their selected positions.
- Submit the application and essay to: Bill Chin, Technology Department, Town Hall, 5866 Main Street, Trumbull, CT 06611 or email email@example.com.
- Essays should be neat, typed or handwritten, and at least one paragraph long.
- Content is important so find out about the duties and responsibilities of the job. Refer to the Town of Trumbull website at www.trumbull-ct.gov for more information.
- Essays will be judged on content and effort.
- Essays should focus on the Scout's first job choice, but a few sentences about their second and third choice are helpful in case their first choice is assigned to another Scout.
Please note that many Scouts will be applying for these jobs. If a Scout is not selected for their first choice, an attempt will be made to place them in another choice or related job. Preference is often given to those who have participated in Scouts in Government Day in the past. Scouts are encouraged to participate in Scouts in Government Day each year and learn about multiple positions.
- Scouts should wear a uniform to Scouts in Government Day.
- Scouts must arrange transportation to Town Hall at 12:45 PM and pickup from Town Hall between 3:30 PM and 3:45 PM.
Schedule of Events
|12:45 PM||Scouts arrive to the Town Hall Council Chambers|
|1:00 PM to 1:15 PM||Opening Ceremony – Scouts are paired with their mentors|
|1:15 PM to 3:00 PM||Scouts job shadow with their mentors|
|3:00 PM to 3:30 PM||Closing Ceremony – Scouts receive certificates and briefly describe what they learned. Parents are encouraged to attend!|
|3:45 PM||Scouts depart|