December 3, 2019 -- With the prevalence of online purchases and home package deliveries as we approach the holiday season, police are asking residents to be aware of the risk of package thefts in residential neighborhoods. Although these thefts have been fairly rare in recent months, the increase of deliveries in the near future should have residents on guard for this activity.
Police are providing these tips to consider in order to safeguard your holiday package deliveries.
- Use an alternate delivery destination where you know someone can claim your package:
- Your office or workplace
- Ask the courier to hold the package at the facility for you to pick up.
- Request that the package has a “signature required” for the delivery.
- Use the delivery notification or tracking services offered by most couriers.
In addition, area police departments are continuing to receive numerous reports of thefts from cars, both in residential neighborhoods and in public shopping parking lots as well.
When leaving your vehicle parked anywhere outside, remember to:
- Always lock your vehicle and take the key/fob with you.
- Park in a lighted area at night whenever possible.
- Hide all packages and valuables in the trunk, hatch, or out of sight in the vehicle.
Always report any suspicious persons or activity to the police and dial 911 for all emergencies.