Trumbull Historical Society |
1856 Huntington Turnpike
Trumbull, CT 06611
Phone: (203) 377-6620
|The current home of the Trumbull Historical Society was built in 1820 on the property of the Nichols family, land that went back to Abraham Nichols, one of the original founders of the town of Stratford. The last of the family to live in the house was Florence Nichols Woods (died 1973), whose husband, George Woods (died 1972), was president of Bridgeport’s People’s Bank. Their estate was noted for its gardens. The couple left their property to the Nichols Methodist Church. The church did not require the property, so the house and land, known as the Woods Estate, were purchased by the town in 1974. Since 1978 the house has been rented by the Historical Society, while the grounds are now Abraham Nichols Park.
The Trumbull Historical Society was founded in 1964 and is a member-supported organization dedicated to fostering a sense of community through the discovery of our shared past.